Sunday, March 8, 2009

Skid Row in LA

Our economy today is horrible. Unemployment rate was at 8.1%, last time I checked. As I went down to L.A today with a group of people from church, it confirmed how bad our society was becoming. Early Saturday morning, we all met up at our host's house Bryan to prepare sandwiches to hand out, as we lined up to make and package the eats, sixty-eight sandwiches I counted, we put drinks, chips, and a snack in each bag, reminded me of my days in school. But nothing prepared for the trip we were about to take. We set in three cars heading to our destination. Once we got there, the feeling was already different before we even got out. The depression was apparent, just gazing out the window I imagined the struggles of each individual, but could not begin to relate such a burden.

We separated into groups of five, each holding a bag of meals. The first five minutes, my bag was already empty, another five, two more bags. We were running out faster than we could introduce ourselves. They came and left as quick as we could throw in "God Bless", who could blame them. I would be the same, maybe worse.

As the day wore on, we were done with what we came to do. But wanted to check out a ministry on the corner. It was a hole in the wall project called "Jonah Project". They established two months prior. They welcomed us like their own. As we walked in people started playing bible bingo and a performance by a group of mimes, which I found quite entertaining. After the performance they invited us to go out and hand out these fruity cookies. Before we even started, many were eager to grab more than a couple, even the back-up taffy candies were demanded like a hot meal. Walking to the corner of the street, I saw a sight I will never forget. The whole street were flocked with homeless people, the presence of the depression was overwhelming. Describing the amount of people, would of been like what a typical day at South Coast would of been like. The smell could almost been felt by my tongue alone, if that was humanly possible.
I did the most I could with what I had and handed it out to each person I encountered. Honesty speaking, I felt discomfort from the area. I personally was concerned for the safety of each person that tagged along the trip, in the back of my head I was thinking were gonna get mugged.

I shouldn't have felt threatened that was their way of life, I was just not use to seeing such a scene. As I was heading back, sitting in the car. I looked out at the people and I felt a sense of being lucky. I am fortunate, I am blessed. Cause no matter how bad things are, I'm not living in the streets.

0 comments:

© AllenHan.net ⓒ Copyright 2009 | Make Money Online